Monday 27 July 2015

The Wonderful World of Witch Hazel

I discovered Witch Hazel about a year ago and it has magically transformed my skin in a way that I find hard to believe has not actually come from a witch. It is one of those fabulously multitasking products, like Vaseline, that has a myriad of uses yet does not break the bank. In fact I buy a 200ml bottle for just £2.50 from good old Wilko's.
The Witch Hazel Shrub

The Witch Hazel I use, which is £2.50 from Wilkinson's

But what is it? Well, it is derived from the bark and leaves of the north American Witch Hazel shrub, or 'Hamamelius virginiana'. North Americans have long recognised the healing and medicinal properties of Witch Hazel and it is through them that is has seeped onto our radar. Or if you are like me you can choose to believe that it is made in Hogwarts potion class and stolen by House Elf's and sold to muggles on the Black market to try and make up for their sub standard wage... but whatever.

I initially bought it for my skin but have since discovered a whole other range of uses it has, here they are:

Spot and Blemish control:
I use it between cleansing and moisturising morning and night as a toner and apply it straight from the bottle onto a cotton pad and then all over my face. I find that for me is drastically reduces redness and inflammation of any spots and it removes and impurities from your skin leaving it feeling noticeably soft after and preventing more spots. Lots of people claim that with daily use it can help improve even severe acne but not being a sufferer I can't vouch for that one but don't see why it wouldn't be worth a try.

Shrink Bags under the eyes:
I get very dark circles around my eyes, in fact come Monday they tend to look more like suitcases. I heard a while ago that hemorrhoid cream can take them away when applied to the area. I admit I was too much of a wimp to try that, however it turns out Witch Hazel is a key ingredient in any Haemorrhoid cream, so now I pop it on a cotton pad and dab under my eyes. Or leave on the cotton pad and rest it on my eyes while I wait for a face mask to dry. I can't say this gets rid of dark circles completely but it improves them significantly without a doubt. 

Healing Bruises:
I bruise incredibly easily and as a result of having a slightly mad horse and enjoying nights dancing my socks off at clubs or gigs, I can often look a bit like a battered banana. So I now apply Witch Hazel to any bruises I have morning and night and it helps speed up their healing time.

Treat and soothe sunburn:
Healing damaged skin is one of Witch Hazels top skills so applying it to sunburn will soothe the pain, prevent peeling and lessen healing time. Trust me on this one, it blows after sun out of the water.

Soothe Razor Burn
Apply before or after shaving legs (I would refrain from using it on your downstairs, I have never tried it but it's probably not a good idea gals) and it stops those itchy red bumps appearing, I find this effective but have never noticed a huge difference as I don't get shaving rash very bad usually but I have a friend who has always got it very badly and swears by Witch hazel.


There are lots and lots of other uses for Witch Hazel scattered all over the Internet but I only wanted to share with you the ones I have tried and tested and found effective. (that rhyme was unintentional).
As always comment to let me know what you think of my uses for it or if you have any other uses for it.
Thanks for reading, Emma xoxo 



No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS